Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Life and it's little joys of 'Barred Incoming Calls'

I've never really enjoyed talking on the mobile phone infact I find all phone calls that are not to the point, precise and brief a complete waste of my time. I don't make 'just called to say Hi' calls nor do I expect to receive them, having said that there are still over half a dozen numbers you can leave messages for me and no important call would ever go unreturned by me.

So why have a mobile if I don't like talking on it?? I hear you ask, well for one simple reason, I like staying in touch but the time that is good for you might not, infact most probably is not good for me and I can't be distracted to even answer the phone to say that, add to that super fragile egos of a lot of people I know 'he didn't answer my call' 'he said he was busy' so what does one do? Must stay in touch still not be distracted by what one is doing therefore over the years I have become a prolific texter and love the convenience of it, even if I am in the middle of something and I am ALWAYS in the middle of something, a text is the perfect way of saying 'I know you value your time, I value mine too but here's something I'd like you to know....' can it get more civilized and 21st century than that??

But as time goes on one's number gets around and how many times can one change it? Suddenly people whom one hasn't seen for years call up (at their convenience! Hello? I might be busy and actually have a life!!) without so much as sending a text before saying, ' I need to speak to you, is now a good time?' So I've barred ALL incoming calls on my handset, ALL! No one can call me anymore, only send me texts which ofcourse I am thrilled about so if you've called me lately and heard 'Incoming call facility to this number is presently not available' it is not the network, its me!